Saturday, January 14, 2012

Playoffs?

Well, it's January 14th and the NFL season is nearly over.  What are there, seven games left?  Time for me to make some picks.

Saints at 49ers.

I'm very impressed with the job Jim Harbaugh did with the 49ers, including getting some production out of Alex Smith.  But I think they're over-matched today.  If both teams play their games; the Saints moving the ball smartly down the field and scoring touchdowns, the 49ers holding the ball for a while and either punting it inside the twenty or kicking field goals; then the Saints win.  IF the 49ers can force the Saints to punt many more times than they usually have to, or force several turnovers, they can win.  But my pick is the Saints, something like 31 - 16.

Tonight we have the Broncos at the Patriots.  Tebow vs. Brady.  Need I say much more?  The Broncos could win but they would have to play a nearly perfect game AND hope for some mistakes from the Patriots.  Close for a while but the Patriots gradually pull away.  Maybe a Tebow pick or two in the second half as he is compelled to throw more than once every 6 plays while playing from behind.  Patriots win, 38 - 16.

Tomorrow I'm picking the Texans to upset the Ravens, partly because I've never liked the Ravens.  But I also think the Texans are a better team than the Ravens.  Baltimore has the home field and the experienced quarterback but I've never been impressed with Flacco, especially in January.  If Yates comes through at all the Texans win.  I'll say 20 - 16.

Then, finally, we have the Giants at the Packers.  The Giants' pass rush scares me even more than their new-found running game.  Plus the Packers offensive coordinator buried his 21 year old son on Friday and the Packers have had a distracted week.  Still, sometimes teams rally around adversity.  And Rodgers and Company are the real deal.  If the defense steps up, like I think they will, the Packers should win.  I'll say 34 - 27.

5 comments:

  1. Wonder whats on Animal Planet...


    Ron
    Indianapolis

    ReplyDelete
  2. notacynic:

    Just finished watching the Saints/49's game. That was one of the most exciting football games I have seen in recent memory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't bother with the Saints game - watched the first part of the New England - Denver until the Tebow scored and then crashed. Got up to piss - 45-7. I say Baltimore and Green Bay today - and Green Bay and New Enhland coming to Indianapolis.


    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  4. Green Bay, no tell me I misunderstood what I saw, say it ain't so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I guess I better keep my day job ...

    ReplyDelete